Federal College of Agriculture Akure, founded in 1957 is one of the leading institutions in the country that trains middle-level manpower in the area of agriculture. The Institution is on a mission to help the nation reduce its unemployment rate, increase food security, and equip its students with the skills required to be self-reliant through agriculture. It has been pursuing this goal for the past six decades and has a lot of achievements and numerous laurels to its credit. The college currently runs National Diploma (ND), Higher National Diploma (HND) programmes, and Certificate and Advanced Certificate training in a number of Agric-related courses.
Federal College of Agriculture was formerly known as the School of Agriculture. It was founded by the government of the defunct Western region with the main purpose of training certified agricultural assistants and middle-level manpower in the discipline of agriculture. By 1991, the college which was over thirty decades old had passed through many hands of administration (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources, Institute of Agriculture and Research Training, Ibadan) came under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture. The same year, the National Board of Technical Education (NBTE) regulated its curriculum and it was given accreditation to award National Diploma (ND) in Agricultural Technology. In 1993 more departments were birthed and the college began offering both National Diploma and Higher National Diploma in key areas of agriculture and has maintained the trend so far.
A World-Class Agricultural Training Institution, making direct and sustainable impacts on gainful youth employment, food security, and improved livelihoods for farmers.
Training of middle-level manpower in Agriculture, Agric. Business and Entrepreneurship, Crop Production, Crop Protection and Agricultural Engineering at both National and Higher National Diplomas level, including Certificate and Vocational Training.
- Diligence (Our Strength)
- Excellence (Our Watchword)
- Accountability (Our Pride)
- Responsibility (Our Focus)
- Provost – Dr. Fadiyimu
- Registrar – Dr. Adebisi
- Librarian – Mrs. Akomolafe
- Dr. Adeeko – Agricultural Technology
- Dr. Folurunsho – Animal Health and Production Technology
- Engr. Elemide – Agricultural and Bio-Environmental Engineering Technology
- Dr. Bifarin – Agricultural Extension and Management
- Dr. Adesanya – Computer Science
- Dr. Ajayi – Crop Production Technology
Hall Warden – Mr Oyeneye
Halls of Residence
The college boasts of three Halls of residence spread across the two campuses (West and East) to cater to its student population. They are:
- Entrepreneurship Development Unit – The Centre dubbed EDU by students and staffs alike is the research farm of the college. It is located on a large hectarage of farmland where different arable and cash crops are cultivated. The centre also possesses a cassava processing facility. The centre is coordinated by a Director.
- Computer Resource Centre – The facility which is under the direct supervision of the Department of Computer Science is home to hundreds of personal computers. The facility was set up by the college to aid learning and play a key role in achieving its mandate of equipping graduate with computer proficient skills.
- Library – The School library is situated in a storey building complex in the West campus of the college. The building houses several volumes of books, journal titles and digital resources that aid learning. The Offices and Reading areas are evenly distributed within the building. The Opening hours are: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm (Monday to Friday), 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Saturdays). The library doesn’t open on Sundays, Public holidays and during Vacation.